Before Intravenous Anesthesia
- You may not have anything to eat or drink for eight (8) hours prior to the appointment. In most cases, this means no food or drink after midnight the night before your surgery. You may only have small amounts of water up until 4 hours prior.
- No smoking at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- Routine daily medications should be taken the morning of surgery about one to two hours before surgery with a small sip of water. This will be discussed with you at your consultation.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the anesthesia experience.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled/stable shoes.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office prior to your appointment.